Skillsets of a Successful ERP Project Leader
ERP is a powerful and integrated software that effectively manages and automates crucial business processes improving productivity and operational efficiency. ERP software helps to collect and organise data from various business operations providing the management with vital insights into Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in real time, which in turn helps them make informed business decisions.
If you are to implement a new ERP project, it is essential to have a project leader, who can guide and steer the entire ERP implementation and adoption for your business. Project leaders play a pivotal role in achieving all the key objectives that a business intends to attain with an ERP solution.
Below are few important traits of a successful ERP Project Leader:
- Communication: ERP project leaders should properly communicate their ideas. In fact, they ought to be crystal-clear with their goals and objectives pertaining to the Implementation. Even a good plan can fall back in no time if the communication is poor. Project leaders ought to boast ability and proficiency in interacting with the end-users and should give ears to t heir requirements and concerns.
- Organised: ERP project leader should be highly organised to ensure that everything is taken care of including the documentation, contracts, email communications, sign-off documents, change management documents, etc. This helps in optimum ERP adoption across the organisation.
- Team Management: Putting together right group of people is another vital trait of a strong ERP project leader. In addition, it is equally important for a project leader to make every employee understand the ERP system. It also plays vital role in the overall success of ERP solution for a business.
- Time Management: This is another crucial aspect of a great ERP project leader. This helps ensure higher productivity. Managing time effectively is a useful skill. Leaders should plan and create effective time management strategies for their crew.
ERP Failure Alert! Click here to know how you can avoid unsuccessful ERP implementation.
- Decision-Making: Here comes the most essential trait of great ERP leaders. Yes, they are excellent at decision-making. They know how to balance things and make decisions that have positive impacts on themselves, customers and their organisations. During ERP implementation, there will be queries/concerns that should be sorted out intelligently and quickly. This is where a smart project leader comes into picture.
- Resolve Conflicts Shrewdly: There are chances of disagreements during the implementation process. Therefore, a project leader should act in a reasonable and diplomatic manner. Simply put, great ERP leaders are skilled in resolving conflicts during implementation and adoption.
- Knowledge Sharing & Training: It is very vital for project leaders to share their knowledge and expertise when it comes to training the users for the newly implemented ERP system.
- Confidence: An effective project leader is confident in his ability as well his team members in achieving the common goals. This is why a great leader always adheres to best project management practices and change management process.
- Manage Client Expectations: Managing expectations that arise during the Initial and final phase of implementation is extremely challenging. Project leaders should monitor and manage client expectations and concerns followed by taking corrective actions.
Strong leadership is one of the pre-requisites for a successful and highly productive team. Successful ERP Implementation requires the guidance of an expert project leader to execute the project in a seamless, efficient and timely manner.